Friday, August 12, 2011

sad news...

 Longtime Brave, Ernie Johnson passed away today. He was 87. I've always said that the reason I'm a Braves fan is because of Ernie, Pete van Wieren, and Skip Caray all those summer days on TBS. Now all I have left is Pete. Someone please wrap him in bubblewrap or something....
I'm not that old, I don't feel old, my wife and mistress both say I don't look old... and yet everything I hold dear from my youth is disappearing forever.

I actually don't even have a card of Ernie. I thought I bought the one you see here. Turns out I bought card #101 of Orioles pitcher Don Johnson with Ernie's picture on the front. Ernie's actual card appears later on in the set.
 Ernie was one of the few remaining links to the Boston Braves/Milwaukee Braves/Atlanta Braves. He was around for all three.
 Here's Ernie with his lovely wife Lois when he was elected to the Braves Hall of Fame in 2001.
We'll miss you pal.

3 comments:

Wes Moore the former JBF said...

He was a great one! RIP Ernie

the sewingmachineguy said...

I thought you were going to say Uggla didn't get a hit, and that one of the gals at ACP was gonna get slapped.

dayf said...

Every year I get sadder and sadder that NO ONE out of the trio of Ernie, Pete and Skip have gotten the Ford Frick award yet. There are Braves fans ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA because of those guys but they can't even get on the final ballot. *cries*