Monday, December 13, 2010

Card of the Week How to, and How Not to.....

This week's cards are courtesy Chris from Stale Gum. He sent these, and a bunch of others over a little while ago.
Today we feature triple relic football cards from two high end Topps products. Unique and Triple Threads.
First, we see what Unique has to offer. And it is The Awesome.
 Good use of team colours, nice symetry. And Game Used swatches. In my dreams I can see the spaces to the right filled with on card autos in silver sharpie. I know one of you enterprising readers out there will tell me that Unique does horrible sticker autos, but until then, my dream has on card. In silver. Awesome. If only I knew someone near Arlington who could do the in person auto thing for me....

Secondly, we see the much maligned and disliked Triple Threads. Here we have three 'quarterbacks' from the '09 draft. I put 'quarterbacks' in quotations because two of these rooks aren't in football anymore.
Pat White, a second round pick of the Dolphins was cut this past year and is currently the towel boy for one of the Kansas City Royals AA teams....
Nate Davis, drafted in the 5th round by the 49'ers..... didn't even make the team in training camp. A FIFTH round pick... really??? And on top of that he didn't even make the team???? He's currently driving a UPS truck in Dubuque, Iowa.
Stephen McGee, a 4th round pick of the Cowboys, is at least still in football, serving as the third string Qb on the Cowboys. While showing a lot of talent in preseason games, the only way Steve sees the field is a plane crash on Tony Romo's house.
oh, and of course, player worn swatches. It doesn't even guarantee which players.... On the plus side, unlike most Triple Threads crap, I can at least understand what the die cut windows are trying to say, so there's that.

4 comments:

cynicalbuddha said...

Actually right now a rabid dog attack on Kitna could get McGee some play time. I wonder if he's any relation to Max McGee that Packer Legend? And wouldn't it be great by some chance of fate that you could get all three autos on that card from in person although it might cost you a years wage with what they would probably charge you to sign.

night owl said...

That is a terrific-looking card (top one, not the bottom). And I don't collect football nor like the Cowboys.

beardy said...

What pisses me off about the Triple Threads card is that they used what look to be college jersey swatches. I don't know about you, but I am about sick and tired of Topps and their BS products right now.

AdamE said...

How did cheerleader of the week get moved so far down the side column on your blog?