Monday, August 7, 2017

2017 Bowman Platinum Baseball - Canadian Edition

Awhile back, in true Topps fashion, they declared that 2017 Bowman Platinum would be a WalMart exclusive product.
No hobby shops.
No sales to Canada.

Epic fail.

I guess Topps knows there are no baseball fans North of the 49th parallel, let alone any Dodger fans looking for Bellanger rookies. Yes, Bowman Platinum is the first product to feature a true Bellanger RC.

I love exclusives, don't you?

Anyways, I had a talk with the elderly lady that stocks up our local WalMart about this very thing. She wouldn't tell me who she worked for..... but she did say that she didn't remember seeing any baseball, and that she didn't realize that people were actually looking for it.

ugh.

That explains why the card section is normally 90% Pokémon and 10% hockey.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and voila! There were six packs of these beauties on a peg in the middle of an explosion of Pikachu something or other.....

One came home with me. Only one because there was no price tag and the nearest three scanning stations were all broken. Gotta love WalMart.


One Exclusive Prospect Card per pack!!!!


I have to say that the quality of the cards has decreased over the last year or so. I guess a lot like every other brand of Topps cards.




 Is Reynaldo my exclusive prospect?

 Or maybe Alex?


KIEBOOM!!!!! Heh, heh....



I haven't heard of most of these guys...



This is a Rookie Radar insert. Is this my exclusive?


A Brave!!!!!!!!! And a blue parallel Brave to boot.
I wish I knew who he was.


and finally, an autograph of Andy Ibanez.
Apparently, Andy is Texas' #2 ranked prospect and one of the top infielders in the minor leagues. He currently plays for the Frisco RoughRiders of the Texas League.

So now you know.

Over all I'd give 2017 Platinum a 3/5

Cheap card stock, bleh design, and the shiny just isn't there anymore.

What say you?

3 comments:

night owl said...

I still haven't seen any Platinum at my Walmart (or any Bowman at all actually).

I also hate buying product of people I don't know so perhaps it's best.

P-town Tom said...

That Andy Ibanez auto may be one of the smallest signatures I've seen on a card.
Kevin Maitan? Yeah, he's a high ceiling international free agent signing. He's a shortstop and playing in the US for the first time this summer in Rookie Ball. Supposedly there's a lot of projection left in his body.
Get this... he was born in 2000. Just crazy.

Fuji said...

I've never seen Bowman Platinum in my area. I'm starting to think it's exclusive to those who have inside deals with Walmart managers.

P.S. Congratulations on pulling the Ibanez autograph.