Friday, March 22, 2013

You can't even make a phone call for that anymore...

.25 cents. You can't get much for .25 cents anymore. Not even a phone call. IF you can find a payphone that is.
But I found something I wanted, and yes, it only cost me .25 cents.
 
At a card show, one of the regular sellers brough a big box filled with small sets from the late '80s and early '90s. Mostly hockey. Stuff that really no one wants, but everyone had at one time when they were sure it was part of a well thought out retirement plan.
 
You know what I'm talking about.
1991 Score Young Superstars set.
1990 Classic set
1991 Upper Deck Hi number set.
1991 The Tuxedo set.
 
You get the drift. Nothing worth grabbing. In fact, it might be better if it was burnt for warmth.
 
But at the very bottom, tucked in a corner, was this beauty. Still in it's original package.
 1992 Kellogg's 3-D All Star set. 10 cards, sealed for freshness.

How much is this package of goodness? .25 cents was the answer. And just like that, it was mine.

My buddy Brett asked me, "Are you going to open it?"

Hell yeah! It's mine now... not going anywhere.

Now I'll share it with you. Aren't you lucky? Of course you are. It's why you come here.

According to my up to date and highly accurate 2009 Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards, this is the highly sought after Canadian version. What are the odds?

Like a lot of Kellogg's cards, they're oddball sized at 2 1/2" x 2 5/16"
 being the Canuck version, you of course have bilingual backs.
 The American version had only English backs naturally.
 Also, the Canadian cards were found in boxes of Frosted Flakes...
 while the U.S. cards were distributed in boxes of Corn Flakes.
 So you can tell the difference in the sets from the front, and back.
 Schmidt seems to be the most valuble card in the set...
 I was hoping to find a Brave inside, and I did!
 Quisenberry was on the front of the package...
 ... and Schmidt was on the back.
 Pretty decent player selection, but not who I expected in a 1992 set.
Pops seems a great way to end off in a Post dedicated to Cereal cards.

See what I did there? Post cereal? Pops? As in Corn Pops?

5 comments:

cynicalbuddha said...

That is a great pick up for a quarter.

bamlinden said...

I don't get it. Pops? As in Pops a wheelie?

Very nice cards nonetheless. Bring them with you to next trade night. I'd love to check them out.

.
.
.
.
.
Oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. POPS.

Got it.

Unknown said...

I only know of ONE pay phone that still exists. It's a newer digital phone that takes credit cards. It's in the Macy's skyway in downtown Minneapolis. I can't imagine that anyone actually uses it.

Fuji said...

Awesome find. I love coming across dealers with big boxes filled with crappy, undesirable sets. It boils down to these two reasons:

A. It's cool to find complete, albeit worthless sets for very, very cheap.

B. It's entertaining to watch delusional dealers try to convince you that those 1991 Tuxedo sets are great investment pieces and still worth $20.

Chuck's Used Cards said...

Freekin' Canadian sweetness !

All the Yanks got was corn flakes. Canucks get Frosted Flakes. Damn, I love Canadian issues.

now, if I could only find some Canadian soccer cards in the cereal boxes - Vancouver Whitecaps, Toronto FC and Montreal Impact for breakfast ! YUP