Friday, August 27, 2010

Official Car of the.....

Anyone know what the Official Car of the Atlanta Braves was in 1971??? I'm assuming that's Atlanta Stadium (later Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium) in the background as Mr Aaron trots around the bases.
But it could be spring training too.... who knows?
I got this wonderful card awhile back from our friend Jim, of the famous GCRL blog. Apparently he was at a card show and posted on his blog via Blackberry, asking whether anyone wanted anything. I asked for a '56 Topps Hank Aaron. (I didn't want to be greedy and ask for his '54 RC)
This is what I got in the mail shortly after.
I'll take it. Close counts in hand grenades, horseshoes, and Hank Aaron card collecting....

3 comments:

Wrigley Wax said...

Aaron's uniform looks more gray than white. My guess is that he is at Shea Stadium, which did have green walls and a lot of empty space behind the wall. Plus, Topps took lots of pictures at the New York ballparks. So make that sign "Official Car of the Mets,"

Yankeejetsfan said...

Yes, that would be Shea Stadium.I can find out what the offical car of the Mets back in 71 was if you'd like.

Anonymous said...

Three years later, and I'm here to tell you that the Shea Stadium sign behind Hank Aaron on his 1972 "In Action" card says "Plymouth - Official Car Of The Mets".

I posted about the same card today, and I ran across this post while confirming that it was Plymouth.

http://shlabotnikreport.wordpress.com/2013/11/22/shea-stadium-where-the-action-is/