Monday, June 7, 2010

Overdue Pack Break

I went on a little excursion to my fave card shop this past Friday. My wife laughed at me on Thursday night because I was in the kitchen making a sandwich and getting a litre of iced tea chilled and ready in my lunchbox. "Going to the card store tomorrow?" she asked with a smirk...
Hey. It's a looong drive. Almost 45 minutes each way. I need a snack and a beverage. Sue me.

Anyways. I just wanted to say that this is the very first time I have ever left this card store without purchasing at least one box of cards. I know.
Don't worry... he'll still make the rent.

While I was there chatting, I picked up 10 more packs of Panini World Cup 2010 stickers, a couple of cheapo singles, and this pack. 2009 Upper Deck Draft Football.
Darren had them on special, sitting right there on the counter. I usually skip the rookie/draft stuff because my wife collects and busts boxes of football with me. And she doesn't like the rookie/draft stuff. Makes sense, right?
But it wouldn't hurt to buy one pack, would it? I never get to go to Walmart or Target or Dollar Tree and pick up retail packs like all of you do... Let's see what $5 gets me.

oooohhhh shiny gold wrapper. 10 cards per pack.
Louis Delmas- 1st round pick of the Lions. Had a really good rookie year. This kid is a keeper. Good start.
Chase Daniel - Chase went undrafted. Signed as a FA with Washington and was released.
How bad are you if Washington takes a pass? He then was signed and released, and signed again, a total of NINE times with New Orleans. Yikes.

James Casey - James was drafted by the White Sox in 2003. After three years, told 'em to pack sand and went to college. Drafted by the Texans in the fifth round as a TE.

John Parker Wilson is either a QB for Alabama or a presidential assassin.
John Parker signed as a FA with the Falcons as a third string QB.
This pack started good, but has gone down hill fast.


Chase Daniel ... wait, WTF?
This is where Darren the shopkeep pipes in on how lucky I am to get a Chase Daniel hotpack.
Please remember to tip your waitress.....

Herman Johnson All American subset.
Herman was drafted in the fifth round of the '09 draft by Arizona. 6'7" 360lbs. At birth, Herman weighed 15 lbs 14 ozs, making him the largest baby ever born in the state of Louisiana. No word on how mom is doing....

Dwayne Bowe - an absolute car wreck of a player. Might be a decent receiver, if he could get his "off field" problems under control.

Philip Rivers - not the most popular guy in school, but a damned good QB.

and we end with, (yes, that's only 9 cards. 8 if you don't count Chase the repetititve) the always popular scratch and win Upper Deck Lottery.
Brian Orakpo. Cool. High first round pick, and an All Rookie winner. Let's redeem it.
ERROR!!!!
What? UD is telling me that this redemption card is a misprint. It should say "Dual Signature" and the second signer is QB Graham Harrell. Graham won the Sammy Baugh trophy, the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, was the 2008 Sporting News National co-player of the year, and was the AT&T All American Player of the Year as voted by the fans. Graham finished 4th in the Heisman while winning the Gator Bowl MVP.
Graham spent last year as the backup QB for the Saskatchewan Rough Riders in the CFL.
But has just signed as the backup to Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay.
Let's see how long this redemption takes.....

3 comments:

TheRealDFG said...

I suppose an Orakpo and Graham Harrell makes up for the two Chase Daniels. Nice cards.

Yankeejetsfan said...

Good luck with the redemption. I'm still waiting on a replacement for a Pat LaFontaine autographed Masterpiece card he never signed and I put my replacement request in in April.

Mike

Josh D. said...

Sooooo....did you ever get the card?