Monday, January 19, 2009

I done been screwed again....

As most of you know, I've committed to collecting the 2008/09 Upper Deck Hockey set. I've bragged about this set here... and here. It's been going pretty well. I've opened three of those FatRackBlister thingies, and am about 2/3 of the way through my first wally world blaster. Scott from Hand Collated has been patiently waiting for me to update my list so we can begin trading.

I've even put my partial set in pages, enjoying the 121 cards I've pulled with NO DUPLICATES. I have card #1. I have card #198. I have 119 cards in between. Everything is awesome. And then I pull this:
Hmmm.... this is the fifth different insert set I've come across. Let's take a look at the back.
A rather benign card. Not exactly a snazzy insert set is ...... WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Card #249????????? It's not an insert???? But in all these packs, I don't have anything over #198!
Upper Deck Short Prints 1
Waxaholic 0
I need to lie down for awhile....

3 comments:

stusigpi said...

Ouch my man. That is harsh. I guess that is a benefit to opening hobby. I think Mario did a break of these and ended up with quite a few. Something tells me you need 3-5 hobby boxes to come close. Then you can trade your hits for the SP's you need.

tastelikedirt said...

Yeeouch!

shoeboxlegends said...

Don't worry too much! Cards 1-200 are the base set and cards 201-250 are the short printed Young Guns rookies. They're only seeded 1:6 packs I believe, and the hot rookies are actually very valuable.

Upper Deck has done this for at least the last couple of years with their hockey set. You'll see the same thing with Series II, cards 251-450 will be the Series II base set, and cards 451-500 will be the short-printed Young Guns.

Unless you've got a small fortune to spend on hockey cards do yourself a favor and just go for the base set like I do!