Friday, February 26, 2010

Hallelujah!

No. Not this one. This will actually be an Olympic free post. I think.



The actual reason for my rejoicing is I found another card shop within 2 hours driving distance.
Most of you remember my anxiety a few weeks back when I found out my favourite cardshop closed it's doors and went to Vancouver. Not to mention the other shop in town refusing to sell packs. Remember that?

Anyways. I found out about another shop in the north end of the city. So I packed a lunch, gassed up the family truckster, and off I went. After my snack, I found myself at Maple Leaf Sports. I walked in the door to a small, but very clean and well laid out shop. Even though they had just opened five minutes before, there was already a customer at the counter making a purchase. Inside, the whole right side wall was devoted to McFarlane figures. The left wall, nothing but wax. A long L shaped group of glass cases filled with various singles.

I picked out a couple of boxes for review here later on, and joy of joys, actually got to pick up some new baseball packs. 2010 Topps Heritage. Right off of the counter. Just sitting there. In Calgary! 3 packs for $10. I have no idea if that's good or not, I just grabbed them. All you Yanks have seen them already, so I'll just hit a couple of highlights.

First card out of the pack. ROY Chris Coghlan. Hmmm... not too exciting...
Hey! My first brave of 2010!!! Not topps, not Upper Deck, but a Heritage Martin Prado. Smile Martin.
Ian Desmond. Is it really necessary to have both RC logos? I long for the day where we had to figure it out for ourselves.
My first SP! A scary picture of Jason Giambi Juice.
I also had to pick up two packs of series 2 UD hockey. After my box break a couple of days ago leaving me without any doubles... this was a must.
another Moose.

I added three cards to my set. Now I have a few doubles for people.

A big thanks to Darren of Maple Leaf Sports for the conversation. I couldn't stay long because I had an appointment to go to, but he's a friendly, knowledgable guy. (despite being a Rams fan) I can't wait to go back and see what else he has. He might even have commons boxes! (dare to dream)

If you're near Calgary, check him out. He also does mail order. I'll get that info and pass it along.

4 comments:

Matt Runyon said...

It's good that you found a card shop. The closest one to me is in Phoenix (3 1/2 hours away). :(

TheRealDFG said...

Its always nice to find a shop that is within the same time zone. I am glad that my local shop moved from the neighboring state across the border. They are now only about 10 minutes away.

I sent you a care package today with those Series 2 I told you about. Hopefully you didn't pull any of the same ones again.

night owl said...

OK, now I REALLY feel isolated. You've got Heritage way the hell up there and I've got none?

Not they want it, it's just the principle of the thing. This is America, damn it.

Field of Cards said...

Congrats! Finding a new card shop verifies civilization still has hope!