Monday, November 17, 2014

Al Dark (Jan 7, 1922 - Nov 13, 2014)

Al Dark passed away this past Thursday. He was rookie of the year in 1948 and placed 3rd in the MVP race. A 3 time all star in his 14 year career that ended in 1960.
 
He only played for the Braves in '48 and '49 (plus 15 games in '46) before being traded away to the Giants with Eddie Stanky for Sid Gordon, Buddy Kerr, Willard Marshall and Red Webb.

I didn't know too much about Al, but thanks to trading for this card at a local trade night last year, I did some research on him.
That's what this hobby is about for me. Not how much my card is worth. Not the mad mojo rush to get the latest prospect card graded in hopes of a 10. Not having every single card ever made.
But acquiring a card of a guy who played on my team, and reading up on him. Finding out about the past.

Most people, including Braves fans, would not even notice the passing of a 92 year old ex-ballplayer. But thanks to a trade with a fellow collector, I did.

R.I.P Mr. Dark.

1 comment:

zman40 said...

Thanks for sharing. Somehow, I missed hearing of his passing.