Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A question for set collectors...

A couple of weeks ago I was browsing through ebay and came across a case breaker who was auctioning off base sets of recent higher end hockey. I love those case breakers. Always looking for the hit, and just giving away those base cards. Sign me up.
Anyways, I grabbed an '09/10 UD Artifacts set....
3 base sets of '08/09 UD SPx
and a set of '08/09 UD ICE as well as '03/04 SP Authentic, with an '08/09 ITG Between the Pipes set to finish things off. (I haven't scanned these sets in yet, so no pics for now)

7 high end base sets won at auction for $30 including shipping. I love case breakers.

Here's where I get whiny. Every damn one of these sets is 100 cards. 100 cards! Am I the only one that this bothers the hell out of?

You set collectors know what I'm talking about. Putting them in pages. 9 cards per page. Then you have that last page with one card in it. Or you put that 100th card on the backside of card 99.... either way it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

And why? Why 100 card sets? Seems to me that the printing process was done on 132 card sheets. To me, that screams 99 card sets. Or, 132 card sets, but that's another story. With 99 cards in a set, basic math tells you that with four master sheets, you could print off these cards with no SP's or DP's.

Wouldn't life be simpler?

Am I alone in this? Are there no other OCD set buiders out there?

9 comments:

JD's Daddy said...

I put most sets in a box. plenty of room in there.

TheRealDFG said...

THANK YOU!! I'm glad someone addressed this finally. I can't believe I didn't bring it up sooner. I put some of the same sets into a binder about a month ago (SPx, SP, Hot Prospects, UD Ice). I have been sticking that last card in the middle of the page on the back.

PS. Who are these case breakers and how can I snipe your auction bids?

Roy said...

Ugh. I'm working on 09/10 Artifacts, and right now they're in a box. i kind of dread the day that #100 gets left on page 12.

B. Wags said...

Nice pick-ups by the way. I agree that 100 card sets are lame. Upper Deck seems to think that people are only after 8,000 different combinations of jersey/patch/autograph cards instead of whole sets. I wonder sometimes why they even bother with base cards at all?

shoeboxlegends said...

I always wish for more 90 card (or less) sets. The hobby shop near me has these wonderful little 90 card Ultra Pro binders with the pages built right in. They are so much more durable than a regular binder and sheets, but they have only 10 9-card pages in them.

I've been able to use them for 07 Masterpieces baseball, the Legends Masterpieces hockey set from last year and a few other oddball sets but not much else. Oh well...

Peterson said...

This.....is deep. It's like "why do we still make everything 3.99 and not 4.00, you would think we would have been conditioned by now...

LongFlyBall said...

Fair point but don't forget those sets with their SPs and variations are actually larger than 100 cards.

I say draw a random number and that card gets shelved....make your own 99 card set!!!

Anonymous said...

I, too, would like to know what case breakers these are. Anyway, yeah... I guess they like nice even numbers.

Goose Joak said...

genius