Saturday, December 27, 2008

2008 Score Football Hobby Box Break

It's time to break a box. My wife loves football cards... so I get to buy boxes of football with no evil glares... you know what I mean....
20 packs per box, 5 cards per pack.
What I got;
all the key guys are here.....

the cards are very shiny with multiple colours to them. They don't scan worth a crap though.

New players are shown in team colours, although most from training camp.
Onto the collation;
79 base cards out of the 330 card base set. No duplicates.
7 Rookies out of the 110 SP set (cards #'d 331-440)
the best being Chris Johnson #043/100
11 inserts from the various insert series...
Limas Sweed Hot Rookie 24/30 the best of the bunch...
and three autographs.... now here is where my beef starts. We all know how we all feel about sticker autos.... I hate 'em, but they are a way of life. If there was one picture that could be presented in court as to the stupidity of sticker autos, may I present Phillip Merling...
Ball point pens on glossy stickers and even glossier foil cards don't work well.
Phillip has played in 15 games so far with 2 starts. 26 tackles, 2 sacks and a pass defended.
Not a bad player. As far as a hobby "hit" though... not good. His card is #'d 239/500 I wonder how many were done in ballpoint before someone realized... "Maybe this isn't a good idea..."
Next up we have a Gold Zone Rookie Auto of Jacob Hester. Jacob is a fullback in charge of clearing the way for LaDanian Thomlinson. 15 games played, 2 starts, 11 carries for 58 yards. 10 catches for 73 yards and a touchdown.
Still, he's a fullback. Good player, bad hobby hit. Jacob is #'d 21/50
Will I be destined to a box from hobby hell? What could possibly save me from forgetmeville?
My wife answered that in the second last pack she opened. (Why does she always get these???)
May I (my wife) present to you...
Matt Ryan Red Zone Auto #05/25
I don't need to retype Matt's stats? Do I? Just say this out loud.... Matt Ryan, NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year....
A box saver for sure...
All in all a good box. I got a lot of the superstars, some good rookies, and a lot of hits. This is not a set builders set though. 110 SP's and only 7 in a box? Plus, I'm not a big fan of the "all foil, all the time.."

4 comments:

dayf said...

THIS IS THE SECOND MATT RYAN HIT YOU'VE PULLED AND I AM STARTING TO GET VERY JEALOUS EVEN THOUGH I HATED THE GUY UP UNTIL ABOUT WEEK SEVEN.

Captain Canuck said...

ummm. yeah. sorry?

(my wife is giggling right now...)

Fuji said...

Congratulations on the Ryan pull. These boxes are awesome for the price. I pulled a Chris Johnson Gold Auto (#'d to 40) from this product.

stusigpi said...

That's a pretty nice box. For the price I don't think you can go wrong either. There may be a 3 box average break in store for these.