Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sebastien Daniel!

the last of my card show purchases was this Sebastien Daniel Sisti card. You might know him as Sibby Sisti.
A 1951 Bowman card #170
with a slight character mark in the lower left corner.
a mouse maybe? A hungry two year old? No matter. Sibby set me back $3. Normally I don't buy Tiptons (does this count?) but I couldn't resist.
Sibby broke into the league in 1939 with the Boston Bees, and stayed with the franchise until retiring with the Milwaukee Braves in 1954. Included in that is a stint with the U.S. Coast Guard 1943-45.
Sibby is also famous because of The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubble Gum Book in which the book ends with the line, Good Night Sibby Sisti, wherever you are...
This now becomes my oldest baseball card. I have several tobacco cards going way back, but they all feature Indian Chiefs or Flags, or Actors....
What's your oldest baseball card?

5 comments:

shoeboxlegends said...

I like it, nice pick up! The 1950 - 1953 Bowman run are some of my favorite cards of all time.

I think my oldest card is a 1920 W516-1 Hank Gowdy of the Boston Braves, which is a hand cut card. I also have a 1940 Play Ball and a couple of 1950 Bowman.

Matthew Glidden said...

Good question! I had the good fortune to find an 1886 card at the 2009 National; it's definitely my oldest, scan at the link below.

1886 Allen & Ginter Lady Baseball Players #5

AdamE said...

My oldest baseball card is a T206. But my oldest card is an 1887 Americal Caramel Boxing card.

Matt Runyon said...

My oldest card is a 1952 Bowman Sal Maglie.

The book reference is the first thing I thought of when I saw the pic. :)

Collective Troll said...

My oldest was from 1887, but that was recently stolen. Now the oldest is 1948. That is more appropriate because the game was more welcoming then... I love the early Bowmans, can't get enough of em!